The ISP International Food Fair is known as the event to attend if you attend no other. Sadly we moved just a week after it was held in 2014 and we were sick at home in 2015. So I was bound and determined that I make it in 2016! And since my good friend E was organizing the American table, I even offered to bake apple pies. If I was bringing food, I would have to at least make an appearance, right?Because there are no frozen or pre-made pie crusts to find here in Prague, I had to whip a few up the night before. Now, I have made a crust from scratch before but, of course, there was a twist, this is the Czech Republic after all. I couldn't find shortening. Not really a problem, because lard will work just as well but I had never worked with it before and I wasn't sure of what the outcome would be - texture or taste. But I had no choice.
The next morning, I finished the pies just in time to transport them over to the girls school. And I was excited to see what the day would hold. Because, even though we have been here two years now, we had never been to the Food Fair at ISP. We had been to the food fair, Kermess, all three years we were in Chile. But Nido was a much bigger school and everything was on a grander scale. Kermess was held outdoors at the beginning of summer (November) and included mechanical bulls, a plethora of carnival rides, games and crafts at every turn and, of course, booth upon booth of food from each country with a family at the school. I knew that the one here at ISP would be different but just as spectacular. And I was not disappointed.
We walked into this...
It was standing room only - and it was only 5 minutes after the fair had opened! I dropped off my pies and went back to pick up my all important plate with B and the girls. And then we just started at the very first table and worked our way around. B and our friend H found a spot at a high table and we stayed there for the better part of the next hour. After finishing what we had picked up at one booth, we would peel off and get another plate full, always leaving, at least, one body in place so that we didn't lose our spot. We had Chinese food first, then Egyptian and then Polish and Pakistani. And then I lost track...It was incredible. And we were getting full. So we stopped for a spot of tea in England/Scotland and then were back at it in Korea. I remember trying a bit of Fairy Bread from the Netherlands and finally, it was time for me to work my shift at the American booth. Thank goodness because if I had eaten another bite I may well have exploded.
And then I had someone bring me food from the Hispanic table. So, I had to eat it. And I hadn't tasted the pulled pork and cole slaw that we Americans had provided, so I had some of that too. And to finish it off, I had to try my own apple pie (before it was gone). After that I was well and truly done. I couldn't eat another bite. So I wandered around and snapped a few photos.
What did I think of the International Food Fair? It was incredibly delicious and we have some very talented cooks in our school. I may even have to make a trip back to do it again next year!
![]() |
| Our very own A, E and H at the American booth! |
![]() |
| I would rate these two as my favorite foods of the day. The Egyptian breakfast salad was magical! |
![]() |
| These families should start a restaurant. Their guacamole was out of this world. As were their taquitos and the empanadas and, well, everything they decided to serve. |
![]() |
| Israel. Another nation we are super lucky to get to sample on a regular basis! |
MadHatter - before she and Stinkerbell took off for the kids entertainment. And my full plate of Egyptian/American goodness!
Bellies full, faces smiling and a day of fun and friendship behind us, we were ready to head home and maybe nap. No better way to spend a Saturday afternoon!














No comments:
Post a Comment