Almost as soon as we got back from our winter break, I started talking about, and planning , Spring Break. Not because I don't love my everyday life in Prague, I do, but I also love to plan and dream and travel. So, I daydreamed of historical treks through Turkey; I fantasized about exploring the coast of Croatia; I even imagined a biblical expedition to Israel. Because sometimes the dreaming and the searching are as much fun for as the trip itself. But I was brought back to reality when B told me that he wouldn't be able to join us on this trip as he had a work commitment he couldn't get out of. Boo. Now all I wanted was a place that the girls and I could go and have fun - and that B wouldn't be super disappointed that he didn't get to join us. Instantly I knew where we would go - Dubai.
Dubai has been on my bucket list since we moved to Prague. Not so much on B's. Which made it the perfect location. By early February, I had it all booked and just had to bide my time. Until this past Monday! Finally, we were on our way...(did I mention Dubai was on my bucket list)...
We landed just before midnight. Because even though we live closer here in Europe, we are still a bit over 6 hours, and 2 time zones away. And it was late. But I still stopped to take a picture of the girls. (um, of course I did)
We landed just before midnight. Because even though we live closer here in Europe, we are still a bit over 6 hours, and 2 time zones away. And it was late. But I still stopped to take a picture of the girls. (um, of course I did)
and it looks like MadHatter is already in a mood. She did ask that I do a retake but we still had to get through passport control, get our bags and head to the hotel, so I had to decline. She is still not happy about it.
We finally made it to bed about 2 am. And since we had no plans until about 6 pm, I let the girls sleep as long as they needed to. Which meant we made it to lunch. Not breakfast - lunch.
We sat down and the first thing they did was hand us COLD towels...Which MadHatter used appropriately...
because it was...
We ordered and we nibbled but it was so hot that we really had no appetites. And we were so excited to hit the beach that food just wasn't a priority. So we called it a meal and headed down to our private beach...
Think they were excited?
She was excited, you just can't tell by this look...(that is the face of a photographer's kid if I have ever seen one).
After a few hours at the beach, we headed out for ice cream. Free ice cream!
The hotel had given the girls tokens upon check in. They could be used for slushies, ice cream or popcorn at the various bars around the property...(now if they would only give token for the grown ups for the bars...)
They opted for orange slushies this time...
And this one decided to finish hers with the bunny that lives on the property. Though I'm not sure the bunny knows that she has company...
We didn't stay long as we had to get cleaned up and head over to the Dubai mall and the Burj Khalifa. We had tickets to ascend at 6 pm and they don't let you in if you are late.
The Burj Khalifa.
The world's tallest building at 2,722 ft (829.8 m). Designed by the same firm that built the One World Trade Center (no. 7 on the list of World's tallest buildings) and the Willis Tower (no. 15), the tower is an incredible feat of architecture. And one that has been awarded many distinctions: It is the world's tallest freestanding building, has the most stories of any building, has the highest occupied floor, has the longest travel distance of any elevator in the world, and has the highest observation deck in the world...so I guess, it is a must see when in Dubai...even if you are terrified of heights, like I am.
We got in line. Then we entered the world's fastest elevator and in less than one minute had ascended 124 floors to the observation deck. And stepped out to look down (and I mean down) upon Dubai...
Those are skyscrapers ... And they look tiny...
Since we were only on level 124 of 163, there were still a few floors above us...
But we didn't look up. We were too fascinated with looking down...
We made our way back down. In time for them to light up the tower...
Those are skyscrapers on the left, if you can't tell...
And head back to the hotel for dinner. Where we spent a bit of time playing with MSQRD and it's new faces. Which always bring a smile to our faces...
Or duck lips (how old is she again?)
And we fell into bed. Happy, exhausted and glad to be spending this time together.


















No comments:
Post a Comment