Bashing the Dubai Desert

Thursday, April 21


After a day of sun, sand and surf (with a side trip to the top of the world) - click here for the recap - we slept late and woke slowly.  Because we once again had a morning and afternoon of leisure ahead of us before heading out on safari.  Rough life, I know.

We finally got up to get ready and as I grabbed everyone's suits I noticed that mine had white stuff all over it...And then I looked closely...


It had a ridge of salt that the sea had left behind!  The girls suits had been rinsed when we got back to the room but I didn't think of doing mine because I hadn't gotten all the way in the water, I had just sat down on the edge of the sand.  Obviously, I should have rinsed it.

We headed out and crossed the pool bridge...


And right through the resort and out to the gulf.  This time, I got in and we splashed and played and let the fish nibble on our toes.  Stinkerbell even caught a starfish, but let it go when she thought it a bit too prickly for her taste.



It was so salty that floating was easy...


After a few hours, we decided it was refreshment time.  This time, we got Orange Smoothies...


And then got cleaned up.  We had some friends to meet and some Dune Bashing to do.

We were picked up about 3:30 and driven about an hour outside of Dubai, where we met up with a caravan of other jeeps.  In one of those jeeps were our wonderful friends G and S and their two boys.  It was a bit of a weird feeling - two california expats, living in Prague and meeting up by coincidence in the Middle East.  But I wasn't going to complain; I was going to enjoy.  And enjoy we did.

I was excited about our adventure.  We were going to have a traditional dinner out in the desert with a show and a camel ride and henna tattoos and hookahs and...and...and...The only part I was a bit apprehensive about was the dune bashing.  Simply put you load yourself into a jeep, the driver lets some air out of the tires and you take off at great speeds climbing the sand dunes and then dropping back down them.  At times, you feel like the car is going to flip.  At others, you think that just your stomach is.  It was exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.  But I wasn't worried about me - I love roller coasters - I was worried about Stinkerbell.  She hates them...Listen to the video below, see how it turned out...




The views out my window were incredible...





After about 30 minutes, we hit the camel crossing and we all got out to look and play...



He's smiling at me!

We conquered it!




The sun was almost down so we got back in the jeeps and headed to camp...




First thing - Camel rides...



Yep, even G and I got on.

And then we tried our hand at sand surfing...
(It wasn't as easy as it looks)


It was almost show time so we found our spot and settled in.






He was really good.  But I think the girls were a bit confused by what they were seeing...


So, I took Stinkerbell to get her Henna tattoo (MadHatter declined)


A bit of dinner and it was time for the belly dancer...





After her show, we contemplated the Hookah


But ultimately decided to try on head wraps...


and when you end up with this type of cute you know you made the better decision.

And at that, we called it a day and headed back to the hotel where we fell into an extremely sandy sleep. (not kidding, it was everywhere).













No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code

<