And the Newbery goes to...

Friday, June 13

Yesterday, I got invited to a publishing party.  Never having been to one before, I was at a loss as to what to expect.  In my wildest dreams, I could not have imagined the faboulousness (I am now inventing words, to describe a publishing party, nonetheless.  Oh the irony) that awaited me.

I was given a behind the scenes look into what it takes to write a book that ends up with a card catalog number.  I saw story boards...


and I got a behind the scene look at the creative process, with the author herself...


I was privileged enough to see the original, handwritten notes that were the beginnings of a new number one best seller...



 And I got an exclusive interview.  I had an all access pass and no restrictions.  I could ask anything.  I lobbed her the softball questions first - how she worked (from 9:00 - 9:30 each day, M-F with weekends off), what the hardest part of writing the story was (the spelling) and if the characters were based on people she knew in real life (it was part autobiographical).

And then I asked the hard hitting questions.  Did she feel exposed and vulnerable because it was partly about her (what does vulnerable mean?), was it hard to build such depth into each character in a story that was only 9 pages long (ONLY 9 pages, that took me 6 weeks to write!),  was she happy with the way it ended and looking back, would she change anything (It was published, right?  Why would I change it?)

And then we went to see it.  Bound and shelved according to the ISP decimal system.  If you are ever in Prague, come check it out.  Literally.

I am so proud of her.  And this work of art.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code

<