The Adventures of Eeyore

Tuesday, July 28


Happiest girl in the world.  She is at Disneyland in Paris.  She is in line for one of her favorite rides.  She has her Papa's arms around her.  And she has her arms around Eeyore, her new best friend.

From that moment on she never slept a night without Eeyore by her side.  He went on trips in the car to drop her off at school.  He sat beside her as she watched T.V.  He even sat in the car, waiting for her, as we went out to run errands.  He truly was her constant companion. 

So, when she asked to take Eeyore with us to the U.S. for the summer break, I couldn't say no.  Even if he didn't fit in her carry on suitcase.  I reminded her, more than once, that she would have to watch out for Eeyore.   I just didn't have the manpower to travel with two small children, 3 suitcases, 3 carry on bags and my camera bag, by myself and still keep Eeyore in my sights.  She agreed.

And she did a great job of it. 

Until she didn't.

On the long flight from Chicago to London, we did great.  And then we almost left Eeyore on the seat as we were disembarking.  My heart did a little leap and then a sigh of relief when the lady behind us, picked him up and asked MadHatter if the donkey was hers.  She nodded, and barely got out a thank you, in her joy and relief.

How short their memories, and attention spans, are at this age.

We had to change terminals in London to catch our flight back to Prague.  It means waiting for the bus, taking said bus about 15 minutes to the next terminal and then checking back in through security, before finally heading to your gate.

Our bus arrived.  We piled on.  And then I heard a squeaky, already teary voice ask, "Mama, do you have Eeyore?"  I took a deep breath and said no.  And then reminded her that I was not the one in charge of Eeyore, that she was.  And she nodded her head in acknowledgement, because I could see she knew this, and knew it was her mistake, and was so sad but didn't want to cry, so she didn't dare speak.  And it broke my heart.

We got off of the bus and I talked to the gentlemen waiting outside to usher us into the terminal.  He had a walkie talkie and I asked him if he could contact the terminal we just left and see if they could find Eeyore in the last chair on the left, in front of the windows.  He did.  They couldn't find him.  But he promised if we stayed there, he would ride the bus back and personally look for him.

We waited.  And waited.  And MadHatter's hopes were high.  And then he arrived without Eeyore and she lost it.  She just couldn't hold the tears in any longer.  And we had to keep moving because our next flight was on time and we were running a bit behind.

And so we left without Eeyore.  With one very sad little girl.  And one promise to contact the lost and found as soon as we got home.

And for two days I checked.  And we talked about buying her another one in the U.S. and having her Uncle bring it when he came in a few days...but that wasn't her Eeyore, and it just wouldn't be the same.  She sat and looked at all of the pictures she had taken with her and Eeyore.  She told me stories of how she and he had played together.  And she did her best to not be sad.

Then one night, in the middle of the night (jet lag and all), I tried the lost and found once again.  

They. Had. Eeyore.

I couldn't wait to tell her when she woke up.  But first, I had to get him shipped back to us.  Which was no easy feat.  And not inexpensive either.  I think they know they have your things held captive, so they charge you through the nose to get them back.  But I knew it would be worth it, and I knew she had learned her lesson on keeping track of her things.

Yesterday, two weeks after he was left in London, Eeyore came home with Papa.  And she smiled the biggest smile I have ever seen and gave Eeyore the biggest hug he has ever received.  And he has not left her side since.

All of us slept better last night!

Welcome Home Eeyore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code

<