Black Balsam (Latvian) - A traditional Latvian herbal liquor. It is a blend of 24 different plants, flowers, buds, juices, roots, oils, berries (and the kitchen sink- I jest) mixed into pure vodka and the recipe has been unchanged for over 250 years. It is black as the night and bitter, but with a slightly sweet aftertaste. It is considered to be a cure for the common cold, and for digestive problems. Legend has it that Catherine the Great of Russia fell ill while visiting Latvia and was cured by drinking a few shots.
Hajdu - (?) Given to B by a dealer at work, I can't trace this one. I have googled it and searched it and tried to find it in message boards and I can't find a single thing about it. I think it is wine. I think B brought it back from some part of Hungary. I think it is a small operation run by family or friends of the dealer. I know that at some point we will crack it open and taste. And probably love it and never be able to find it again.
Ouzo (Greek) - An anise flavored liquor, said to be created as part of a project by a group of 14th century monks. It was not widely distilled until the 19th century, and did not become popular until absinthe fell out of favor, and Ouzo replaced it as the drink of choice, in the early 20th century. Prepared in copper stills, Ouzo starts at 96 percent alcohol by volume and is basically flavored ethyl alcohol. It is then double distilled, bringing its alcohol by volume content to about 50 percent. Still, a pretty potent drink. In 2006, Greece became the only place in the world that can produce authentic Ouzo
Slivovice (Moravian/Eastern Europe) - This is simply fermented plums. No added sugar, no added yeast, no added flavorings. At least, when it is homemade, which the best of them are. (Notice that my bottle above - behind the Ouzo and Tokaji- has no label. It was made by a work associate of B's). It is a national treasure here in the Czech Republic and people travel from all over the country to the Southern provinces to pick up their own stash of this home brew. While the government has declared home distilleries illegal, probably due to the fact that if it is done incorrectly you end up with a lethal methanol and not a drinkable, sweet brandy, they do provide a local distillery in most towns. Of course, they can also make sure they are getting their fair share of taxes this way too.
Tokaji (Hungarian) - I have written about this liquor before so I won't go into too much more detail. This spirit, like Ouzu or Champagne, can only be produced in a certain region in the Carpathian Mountains to be labeled Tokaji. A sweet wine, produced from only 6 approved varieties of grapes, is rated in Puttonyos. 3 is sweet. 6 is teeth rottingly so.
Becherovka (Czech Republic) - produced in Karlovy Vary, this is an herbal bitters, often drunk as a digestive. There are only two people in the entire world that know the exact recipe for Becherovka. Once a week, one of them enters the Drogikamer room to mix the herbs and spices used in the drink. Whatever it is that they put in there, it gives an end result of ginger and cinnamon flavor. Usually served chilled as a shot, the Czech people also use it to cure the common cold.
The next time you are nearby, come on over for a drink. I am sure we can introduce you to something new. Or perhaps, you can add something new to our cabinet.

No comments:
Post a Comment