Running Prague

Sunday, September 6

Back in May, I was badgered bullied begged asked to participate in a 10k that is held annually here in Prague.  Since it wasn't until September, and that seemed like forever and a day away, and I figured I would have plenty of time to train, I paid my entry fee and began running a few more miles each week.  I had gotten to the point where I was running a 10k on my treadmill each week.  And 5-6 km about 3 days a week.  And then summer came.  And I forgot about my training program amid all of the travel and fun.  Suddenly, we were back at school, the race was in less than 3 weeks and I hadn't run regularly in 2 months!  Yikes.

But I stepped it up and completed one last, final long run a week before the run.  And then I tapered down just as I was supposed to.  I wasn't feeling the best I ever have before a race, but I was pretty confident I wouldn't need medical attention along the route.  That is a win right there.

A couple of days before the race, the group of us went down to the Running Mall to pick up our race packets.  And stare at our names on the wall...Amid the other 7,000 people running the race.



We picked up our numbers, posed for the official pictures and then went home to rest until Saturday.


Saturday came, and we decided to head down to the race a bit early to get a final bite to eat a few hours before the 7:30 p.m. start time.  We fueled up, wandered around the streets of Wenceslas before heading into the technical area to get our free leg massage.  The massage was fabulous, but it did involve taking off (yep, OFF) our race pants, shoes and socks, and then laying on the table with 8 other people in a row, and a few dozen waiting their turn, just watching you.  Very European of us.  Redressed and legs feeling fantastic, I debated going next door to have my hamstring taped, as it still bothers me from time to time after having snapped it a few years ago.  I decided I didn't want to wait in line, and would prefer to wait in the line for the Port-a-Potty (called a Jenny) instead.  And suddenly, it was time to drop our bags and head to the starting corral.

The Museum on Wenceslas Square.  Just before dinner.
The map of our run through the cobblestone streets in the heart of Prague.
We stopped for some silly pictures...
And then took a few of our own while we waited in the corral...


We waited for about 10 minutes while everyone made their way over to the competitors area.  We were lined up with our group - G (those that would finish in over an hour - though we would shoot for less) and way back in the pack.  Those that do this professionally, were so far away, we might has well have been on different streets.  Wait, we were on different streets.

Somewhere along the way, the starting gun was fired.  And we started walking toward the start.  It took us a bit over 5 minutes to cross the starting line.  And it was crowded.  Trying not to trip, on someone else's foot or a cobblestone or a tram track, took a lot of concentration.  And all I wanted to do was get out of the crowd.  So I took every opening I could, and ran faster than I probably should have, just to get away from the claustrophobic feeling of being surrounded by hundreds of bodies pushing you forward.  Somewhere around kilometer 1 1/2, I found an open spot and settled in to a decent pace.  Not knowing what that pace was though was a mistake.  I had not turned on my pace tracker, for fear that it would drain my phone battery and then I would be without my all important running music.  Next time, I turn on the pace tracker.  It's not only nice to know your splits, it is truly essential.  I digress...back to kilometer 2...

We had just passed the km marker #2, and were heading down into Prague 7, when off to our right we saw the front runners coming back up - at just past their half way mark.  Yep, we were just starting and they were on the back half of their journey.  To put it in perspective, the winner finished his 10 k in 27:42.  That is an average pace of 4:42 per mile.  For 6.2 miles.  And because this race is an IAFF Gold Label event, the highest level of road race, it brings out the best and the fastest runners in the World.  It really was impressive to watch them flying by.

I was just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other and felt pretty good about it.  I kept picking a person in front of me to follow, and then, if I happened to pass them, I picked another.  I ran with the girls for a km or so, and realized that we were running a bit fast for my usual pacing - 9 minute miles for the first 5 km - but I did want to try to hit a sub 1 (under an hour) and this would do it.  Problem is, I have never run a sub 1 and I would have finished well under at this pace.  It caught up to me.  And I slowed my pace a bit for the next 3 km - down to about 10:30 I would guess, but this is where my pacing app would have come in handy.  Again, next time.

And then it hit me.  That wall.  And it was brick.  I had 2 km to go and it was now pitch dark and I was running on cobblestones on what were now pretty shaky legs.  I knew I could do it; I also knew it would not be pretty.  Finally, we saw the sign that said 900 meters to go, and we stepped onto the bridge that would take us back into city center.  That was the longest 900 meters I think I have ever run.  I swore each step was taking me farther away from, and not closer to, the finish line.  But thanks to my new friend J shouting encouragement as she pounded it out right beside me, we finished strong.  And as I looked up at the time, I realized I had finished in with a PR at 1:02.  Not a sub 1 like I had hoped, but still left me feeling pretty darn good about the race!

J and I had lost the rest of the group (H was our big winner with a 56:59 finish!!!) so we texted them and told them we would meet them back at bag drop.  We couldn't stand around and wait if we had wanted to because the crush of the crowd kept pushing us forward.

We got our medals.  We got our superman silver blanket capes.  We got a bag full of water/sports drinks.  We got our fruit.  And finally, we got to take a selfie with our friends.




And then, it was over.  And we were a bit silly.  And a lot hungry.  And thirsty.  So, we put on our mustaches - I did say mustaches- and headed out to eat.



More importantly we had to replenish our electrolyte balance, and beer does the job as well as sports drinks, especially when it is tasty, unfiltered local Czech beer.  Oh yeah, and we needed a bit of food too - though it was pushing 10 pm and not a time I generally eat.


Re-hydrated and sated, we were all starting to feel the effects of the day.  We paid the tab and headed to the Metro to catch the train back to our respective locations.  I was the first off as I had to transfer to the tram.  I said my goodbyes, walked to the line and waited for about 20 minutes trying not to fall asleep on my feet.  I was home pretty quickly afterwards, as tram riding always seems to be uneventful, thankfully.

By the time I got home it was past midnight.  Just before turning in, I checked my Fitbit to see how many steps I had taken and was surprised to see this...

And that doesn't include the 2000 steps I took after midnight.  What a day!

What an incredible, fun, challenging, fabulous day.  I can't wait to do it again next year!!!

For a short video of the run click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code

<