Syttende Mai

Monday, May 18

I am privileged to have met, and befriended, a few wonderful Norwegians here in Prague.  One is especially dear to my heart, and I was very flattered when she asked me to attend her Norway Day celebration.  And my girls were very happy to hear that it was the one day of the year that kids could eat as much ice cream as they wanted and their parents couldn't say no.

The day of May 17th is very significant in the history of Norway, as is the day that the Constitution was first signed.  The year was 1814 and they had just been defeated in the Napoleonic wars.  They signed the Constitution to declare themselves an independent kingdom, in an effort to not be ceded to Sweden.  And that is about all I know about the history of the day...but thanks to our fun day yesterday, I know all about how much fun the whole day is (it's very similar to our celebrations for the 4th of July).

We all feast on traditional Norwegian food.  Which was quite a treat for me since I grew up eating many of these delicious treats.  Wisconsin (which is where my parents are from) has a huge Norwegian population.  (And much of my mother's family is actually still in Norway).  It was really nice to have some of the foods that I just can't get everywhere.  And after lunch, the kids eat ice cream.  All. Day. Long.  My Stinkerbell had 3, and would have had more if we hadn't had to leave to make it to another engagement...


We sang the Norwegian national anthem.  Well, they sang the anthem.  I took a picture of it and tried my darnedest.  But the words were not rolling off of my tongue...


And then we went outside to play games.  Because Norway day is about children and for children and those that are children at heart...



This is the daughter of my dear friend (and MadHatters good friend) and is officially the cutest thing in traditional costume that I have ever seen.


We blew horns (with the best view of Prague ever as a backdrop).



and all of the kids participated in the games.



These three were thick as thieves when they were in the same Kindergarten class.  I am glad to see that they remain friends even though they are in different classes.


Traditional dresses from each woman's hometown.


Traditional deserts!  Yum-my!


One last look at that view...

Thank you my friends.  For letting me celebrate such a special day, with such special people.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code

<